Wednesday 3 June 2009

QUERY CORNER


Hello to everyone who enjoys reading my Blog, again I would like to say a big thank you, as it's always fun to get an email or a comment on something I have posted.

I have had a few more comments left on the posts recently and I hope this trend continues to grow as I really enjoy people asking me if I remember certain places or people from Wolverhamptons yesteryear.

To make it easier to for other blog followers to read peoples questions and my answers, I have decided to try something new.

From now on if someone leaves a comment with a question, if i have anything to say on the subject I will feature the original comment and my answer in it's own little post.

I will be calling these posts 'Query Corner', and will show the original comment and my reply to them within the post.

OK, with that little explaination out of the way I'd like to move on to the first ever Query Corner.



QUERY CORNER

'Hi Bill do you, or anybody out there remember a second hand car pitch in Molineux St just past Vincent St, opposite the football ground, in the mid 1950s, or have any photos of Molineux St in this time?' - John


Yes John, I remember it well It seemed to me from stories I heard that there had always been an area of open ground on that corner of Vincent Street used over the years for garage related businesses.

One such story came from Kath Thomas, whose father Albert Thomas was the licencee at the 'Cottage Spring' in North Street.

Its beer garden overlooked that area of open ground and Molineux Street. When the original Molineux Street stand blew down in the gales in January 1925, he allowed the customers to stand on the garden tables on match days, and did a roaring trade.

But back to your comment and this photo from the time in question. At that time S & H.Amis limited, sold second hand cars from here next door to Pay Pool Motor engineers on the corner of Vincent Street, seen opposite the returning trolleybus.



There were times before and after the war, when the No.3 bus from Fordhouse's would have been stranded here in Molineux Street for above ten minutes, as the hordes of fans left the ground after the final whistle.

A little further up the street next to the hoarding which separates it from O'Connors shoe repairs, the pet shop is finding the trade very slow these days.

But on the opposite corner to Jimmy O'Connor. The Fox Hotel is still doing a good trade, especially when the 'Wolves' are at home.

The bus will continue on its return journey from Fordhouses and make its right turn into North Street, in front of Jones' fish and chip shop and Corkes Radio shop next door, and will proceed to its stop at the 'Chequer Ball'.


Whadya Know? Whadya Say?

8 comments:

  1. hi billy
    pat finnerty here ex drayman ex st peter and st pauls school and ex st josephs school hope you are keeping well. you have just brought back fond memories to me with your photos regards pat finnerty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi billy.
    long time no see its pat finnerty here ex st peter & st pauls school- ex st josephs school-
    regards and ex bankss drayman just looked at the old photos great regards pat finnerty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pat
    Many more were these came from keep posted
    All the best Billy H

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Billy on sunday the city show you mentioned what you knew about Penn. well can i ask you this how many just 'Penn' Roads are there in the genral area of Penn.
    best wishes Mark Jones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mark, as far as I knew I thought there was one Penn Road in the Penn area.

    Maybe someone else reading the blog can offer up some more information on the matter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mr. Howe,

    As an avid Wolves fan for over 20 years I've always had a keen interest in the in the 'old' Molineux stadium and the surrounding area. I stumbled upon your internet site today and your information on North Street in particular and the many side streets, using excellent photos and personal accounts, have finally helped me to piece it all together allowed me to understand how it would have looked.

    Being born in 1981 I've relied heavily on stories about the area from my Dad however a picture tells a thousand stories and the detailed maps suddenly made it all clear. You have obviously worked very hard putting it all together and it looks fantastic.

    Thanks very much,

    Steve Banfield.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mr Howe

    One of my friends has given me your business card. I'm not sure whether it was you who wrote a book about Penn. If it was you, I wonder whether you also wrote one about Wednesfield? Or do you know of anyone who has written about the village?

    My Mum lived in Taylor Street, Wednesfield as a girl in the 1940s. She's been trying to find some photos of the street. The house where she used to live has long gone.

    I've had a look at your blog but couldn't see anything about Wednesfield on it.

    Kind regards

    Jane Allen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jane,

    The answer to your first question is no, I have written several newspaper articles but never a book.

    I like to think that I have a fair bit of knowledge regarding old Wolverhampton in general, and I have many pictures of the old town including Penn and Wednesfield.

    Unfortunately I do not have a picture of Taylor Street in Wednesfield where your mother came from.

    I would recommend that you pop into the Wolverhampton Archives. They have many books full of information and photographs on Wednesfield. They also have directories, maps, and local historical documents from all over the region.

    The Wolverhampton Archives is situated at the old Molineux Hotel on North Street, and the staff will be only too glad to help you in your search.

    I do hope this is of some help to you.

    ReplyDelete