Wednesday 24 June 2009

WHOLESALE DESTRUCTION


After leaving school in 1952 I found employment with H.Goodhall Ltd, in the Wholesale Market in Wolverhampton as a groundsman and porter. I would say the first three years working here in the market (before a break for National Service) were the best three years of my working life.


Rest In Peace

The hand bell that rang out daily at 3.00p.m. around St Peter's Square, to herald the closure of a days trading has now been muffled for good.

And the many tradesmen and customers that had for many years gathered around at 6.00 a.m. outside these once majestic wrought iron gates of Wolverhamptons old fruit and vegetable wholesale market have long since departed after paying their last respects.

All that's remaining is this brief unique view of the Catholic Church of St Peter and St Paul and Giffard House, framed by the last remaining arch, which adds an extra poignancy to a deeply moving scene at the end of the life of this Edwardian built masterpiece R.I.P.


North Street - its final indignity was Wholesale Destruction.

The eye catching Wholesale Market, of which I recall with great affection, was erected in 1902, on a site now occupied by the Civic Centre, Wulfruna Street, in an area formerly known as Horse Fair.


The last Picture Show

Seventy years later in the early 1970's the market building itself was still in quite good condition, but unfortunately its design and layout, didn't meet with the demand for modern day distributing. Its existing facilities couldn't cope with the quick handling, of the huge transports, and this caused terrible congestion, around Wulfruna Street during busy periods.

This, plus the lack of storage and garage space, for use by the merchants etc, added further handicaps to smooth organisation, and it was with much regret a new site had to be found away from St Peters Square.


1963 in like a Lion and out like a lamb.

For those of us who worked in the Wholesale Market during the first two months of 1963 there was no need for threats of being sent to Siberia, it was colder in here. It snowed heavily just after Christmas and then for weeks a glazed frost piled on the agony.

It was the worst freeze up since 1947, two things that always spring to mind was the tea freezing in cups when left a while unattended, and the price of the few vegetables produced leaping in price each day. The ground became so hard one local farmer Wallace Cartright from Wombourne resorted to using a pneumatic drill to dig parsnips!

This is a shot of the market interior in summer of 1963. The market appears very quiet now at the end of the day's trading.

It mainly features the large trading area allotted to H. Goodall Ltd fruit & veg merchants. One of Goodhalls fleet of vehicles is seen fully laden, about to leave with goods for delivery to Newport Shropshire. The gentleman with arms folded was Tom Price, the General manager of H.Goodall; seen here chatting to Jack Thomas, a local greengrocer from Park Village.


Vegetables in their Blood.

A group of market veterans force a smile even though they are being uprooted from the ornate aisles of the Wulfruna street headquarters, where they have spent most of their working life.

They are from left to right: Sam Leason, George Henson, George Talbot, Horace Horton, Bert Weaver, Tom Adey, Steve Thomas, Edgar Finney, and Arthur Green. Looking back with hindsight perhaps, a tear or two would not have gone amiss.


Gone but not forgotten

In the local press on 22nd November 1973 it said... By Monday next the Edwardian shell of Wolverhampton wholesale market will be strangely quiet, because the trade will have moved two miles away to Hickman Avenue. The bustle and the banter of the fruit and veg trade, will now be echoing around new £500,000 premises at Monmore Green.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Howe.
    Nice to see a face i can remember in your photo's of the Old Whole sale market that of Mr Sam Leason for whom i went to work for. After leaving school in 1974 i managed to get my first job at Leason & sons in Hickman Avenue, i can remember the old market which i was taken to by my Grandfather Mr sidney Mainwaring.

    I worked at the whole sale market for just over two years first at as i have said Leason & sons then for brooke's Bros, fond but very distant memories thank you for sharing your times
    SG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr Glass

    I can well understand you saying the two years you spent at the start of your working life in the then new Wholesale Market in Hickman Avenue are full of happy memories .
    The fruit and veg trade in Wolverhampton was still at that time shared amongst long established businesses so full of life.
    Those many wholesalers, market traders and scores of local greengrocers mainly now, just ghosts of the past.
    I remember the crowd from those times, with great affection, to many to mention here, none of which though today if it was at all possible to meet up with, I wouldn’t shake their hand and stand them a drink.

    Finally I would say your were most fortunate to have visited the original Edwardian Market with your grandfather, certainly a fine memory to cherish.

    Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr Howe
    I have found your blog (Life History) by an altogether backwards search and not I admit by design. However what an absolutely brilliant accident it has been I am not a Wolvarian but I do have an interest in the Market trade for which you write with such affection. Imagine my surprise when not only do you write about H Goodal but you even have a photo of my Grandfather the late Thomas Price. Do you have any other memories of him and his association with the Goodal's our history is a little patchy where Grandad is concerned until He and Flo moved to Worthing in Sussex. So Thank you for sharing your memories if you have any more I would love to here them. Regards Martin J Barden martin_bts@tesco.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin,

    Accidentally or not I am so glad you got in touch. I was fifteen years old the first time I met your grandfather Mr Price (It was always Mr Price and Mrs Goodall ) and their generosity and goodwill toward myself and their many other employees during the time I spent at H.Goodall Ltd in the Wholesale market in Wulfruna Street, was second to none.

    As with yourself my knowledge of Tom Price is sketchy. I believe he was gassed during the first World war and lost a lung, this didn't prevent him taking a more than active part in the management of the Wolverhampton firm.

    I know he was the manager at one time of Pouparts in Spitafields Market in London, before coming to Goodalls, as he took the whole Goodhalls staff there once on a visit. around 1954.

    At times he was like a father to me, When I came out of the forces after national service he called me in the office to meet, his friend; Mr Deauville, the manager of the Staffordshire Building Society who had opened me a savings account with £5.00 off the boss, who said 'It's time you saved for your own home. I'm going to stop you £2 a week from your wages and place it in your account'.

    Then I remember I upset him once and he told me 'I was like a big book with no pages'.

    I could go on But no, I will just add that in all the years I spent at Goodalls, Mrs Goodall and Mr Price were treasured employers and held with the highest regard by everyone that knew them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mr Howe
    I came across your site by accident. My Father is Len Thomas who traded on the patch at the rear of the market.
    I showed him the site and he pointed out that the pick up van in one of the pictures was his. He was also pleased to see a picture of his Brother Steve Thomas.
    Our family migrated to Australia in 1970 and Dad is just about to celebrate his 89th birthday.

    Thanks for the Memories.

    Gary Thomas

    ReplyDelete